Second NCRV-Los Vast party in De Kuip one big success

The first notes of the national anthem sounded in the sold out ‘Kuip’ and the people stood up all at once. People sang along, hands were raised. The party had started. Until midnight the enthusiasm of the audience couldn’t be tamed. The second edition of the NCRV-Los Vast-Kuipspektakel was a roaring success.

Fiftythousand people went to the Feyenoord Stadium in Rotterdam to participate in the event. This second time would be even bigger than last year, according to the organisation, and presenter Jan Rietman promised to arrange good weather. He was right. Ideal circumstances made the spectacle one big party.

On the big stage, that was used previously by artists like Bruce Springsteen and Rod Stewart, the bands followed one after the other in high speed. Most of the artists only played one or two songs.
Just after six the Lost Vast band started the proceedings, broadcast on radio and tv, with their own version of ‘Can’t you feel a brand new day’. Within the hour many artists passed by. The Sherman Brothers, Frizzle Sizzle, BZN, but also, between all the Dutch artists, the famous Kid Creole and his Coconuts. It was also the first act to use backing tape instead of live music.

The Havenzangers also used this system, but the audience didn’t care at all. All the hands were raised, when the duo on clogs started their famous medley and within minutes the whole Kuip partied with them. The party was complete and Jan Rietman described the singers enthusiastically with ‘absolute world class’.

Less enthusiastic the audience responded to acts like ‘Kissing the pink’ and Benny Neyman, who even got waste thrown at him. When Gerard Joling got to the stage, the First Aid got busy, young girls all fainted. The whole spectacle resulted in 200 fainters and one broken finger according to the NCRV.

The police of Rotterdam, 30 officers in all, got rid of ten people, of which six were arrested because of assault. In spite of this, it was very nice on the field. The mostly young audience amused themselves singing and dancing, parents were looking on kind of bored. It was obvious that the audience wasn’t choosy. Everyone sang along with Mai Tai, but also with Nico Haak.

Jan Rietman finished his work, aided at times by Amanda Redington, presenter of the satellite TV station Music Box. On Saturday Music Box will broadcast the entire Kuip spektakel, in six parts of an hour. Redington said after the concerts: “I am very surprised about all the talent I have seen here. We’re in London and there we don’t hear any of this. We are very happy with this programme.” Rietman added: “Despite the international attention this will always be a national programme. It’s interesting for the artists of course that Music Box is broadcasting this.”

Shortly before the big final it was Kim Wilde’s turn. She had brought her own band and got the audience dancing on hits like ‘Kids in America’ and ‘Cambodia’. Despite a technical glitch at the beginning, as a result of which the singing couldn’t be heard, the Kuip got enthusiastic again. The singer obviously enjoyed herself.

The final was started by Gerard Joling, followed by ‘Why tell me why’ by Anita Meyer. Of course Lee Towers was also there, so the great duet ‘Run to me’ could also sound through the Kuip.
After this there was time for Jan Rietman and Gary Brooker (ex-Procol Harum), one of his favourite artists. Gary Brooker played a medley of old hits from Procol Harum, during which the ‘living legend’ was hindered by a microphone which kept falling off. The audience in the Kuip was obviously too young for this music. Brooker wasn’t interested. The same thing went for George Kooymans who played the old Golden Earring hit Radar Love.

All the artists were supported by the great Los Vast band. The band had to play over fifty songs for artists like Frizzle Sizzle and Hans de Booy, but also for Mai Tai and Normaal.

The very last song of this Kuip spektakel was sung by Lee Towers, aided by many of the artists who were on stage earlier. During their ‘Glory Halleluya’ the audience teared up, when above the stadium fireworks went off. The party was over.